Welcome to the Berks County Medical Society Website, here to serve our members and the residents of Berks County, PA with physician, hospital, and health related information.
The latest news and trends in medicine.
- Pennsylvania’s New Opioid Restrictions by Michael Baxter, MD The epidemic of opioid abuse and the overdoses and deaths accompanying this public health scourge claimed even more victims in Berks County and beyond in 2016 than in 2015. On November 2, Governor Tom Wolf signed into law a package of bills requiring changes in the way health care practitioners prescribe opioid ... Read more
- Feel the Burn: Burnout is More Common Than You Might Think by Heath Mackley, MD, FACRO I don’t know any physician that doesn’t struggle with the work-life balance. We didn’t become physicians because we expected an easy job. And most of us understand that to be truly good at anything, it probably takes some talent, but it definitely requires a lot of work. There is no substitute ... Read more
- Opioid Poorly-Responsive Cancer Pain by Tamara Sacks, MD, David E Weissman, MD, and Robert Arnold, MD Background Relief of cancer pain from opioids is rarely all or nothing; most patients experience some degree of analgesia alongside opioid toxicities. When the balance of analgesia versus toxicity tips away from analgesia, the term ‘opioid poorly-responsive pain’ is invoked. While opioid poorly-responsive pain is ... Read more
- Members in the News “The American Academy of Pediatrics Section on Oral Health presents the 2016 Oral Health Service Award to C. Eve Jensen Kimball, MD, FAAP, for working to advance children’s oral health through education, medical/dental collaboration, and advocacy.” It was presented at the AAP National Conference & Exhibition Meeting in San Francisco, CA on 23 October 2016. ... Read more
- DOH Launches Prescription Drug Monitoring Program to Combat Opioid Abuse – Here’s What You Need to Know Pennsylvania physicians who are licensed, registered, or otherwise lawfully authorized to prescribe controlled substances, other drug or device in the course of professional practice, or research in this Commonwealth are required to register in the state’s new controlled substances monitoring program (PDMP). Once you have registered, the system will be ready for query beginning Aug. 25, ... Read more
- Improving Transitions of Care by Patti J. Brown, M.D. Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Medical Director, HealthSouth Reading Rehabilitation Hospital It is that time of year again. Our hospital’s Joint Commission Accreditation is due and we are reviewing Patient Safety Goals. When reviewing the goals it is easy to see the true meaning and purpose behind them. Acute Rehabilitation hospitals are licensed as ... Read more
Mar 22, 2017
"The Aging Eye"
with host Dr. Wilson, MD
Mar 08, 2017
"Prevention & Detection of Infectious Disease"
with host John Dethoff, MD
Mar 01, 2017
"Nueral Critical Care"
with host Charles Barbera, MD
Feb 21, 2017
with host Brig Andi, MD