Welcome to the Berks County Medical Society Website, here to serve our members and the residents of Berks County, PA with physician, hospital, and health related information.
The latest news and trends in medicine.
- Seniors and Substance Use: SBIRT Aids in Screening and Intervention by Joseph Garbely, DO Medical Director, Caron Treatment Centers As physicians, we are well aware of the growing senior population. One of the greatest challenges we face is one that is not always obvious. That is, possible alcohol or drug use and the potential for addiction. The fact is that substance use in adults 65 and over is ... Read more
- Alternatives to Prescribing Controlled Substances for Chronic Pain by Patti J. Brown, M.D. Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Medical Director, HealthSouth Reading Rehabilitation Hospital The treatment of chronic pain has been a hot topic lately due to the opioid crisis our country is presently facing. As a physical medicine and rehabilitation specialist my interest in treatment of chronic pain has been long-standing. PM and R specialists have been ... Read more
- The Biggest Patient Safety Problem at Home: medications by Constance Morrison President and CEO of Home Health Care Management, Inc. Patients in the acute care facilities across the country receive high quality care every day and then go home. Often times alone because the family at the bedside disappears. They go home to a home that is not quite as easy to maneuver as the ... Read more
- Improving Transitions of Care by Patti J. Brown, M.D. Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Medical Director, HealthSouth Reading Rehabilitation Hospital It is that time of year again. Our hospital’s Joint Commission Accreditation is due and we are reviewing Patient Safety Goals. When reviewing the goals it is easy to see the true meaning and purpose behind them. Acute Rehabilitation hospitals are licensed as ... Read more
- Cedric C. Jimerson, MD Surgical Internship – The New York Hospital Editor’s Introduction Cedric C. Jimerson was born in August 1919 in Hornby, NY. His father was a farmer who had graduated from Alfred College. In addition to working his 110-acre farm, he was head of the vocational shop at a high school in nearby Corning and was a home-builder. When Cedric was 13, his father died ... Read more
- BCMS Members Mentor Students’ Summer Research By: Lucy J. Cairns, MD Berks County physicians encourage bright young people from our community to pursue careers in the health care field in a variety of ways, including participating in career days at schools, allowing students to observe clinical practice, and offering clinical and research training to college students and medical students. The research abstracts ... Read more
Jan 06, 2016
with host Charles Barbera, MD
Jan 13, 2016
"Influenza & Adult Vaccines"
with host John Dethoff, MD
Jan 20, 2016
with host Andrew Waxler, MD
Jan 27, 2016
"Should I be worried about my anxiety disorder?"
with host Mike Baxter, MD