Welcome to the Berks County Medical Society Website, here to serve our members and the residents of Berks County, PA with physician, hospital, and health related information.
The latest news and trends in medicine.
- A Near-Sighted Look at Our Growing Medical Student Debt Problem One of the many things I love about my five year-old son, Connor, is his ever-evolving imagination. For instance, about a year ago he wanted to be a “knight” when he grew up, and a couple months before that he wanted to be a “stop sign.” So several weeks ago, while getting his first pair ... Read more
- Paying for Value? by Heath Mackley, MD, FACRO Our politicians, fond of catchphrases, have endorsed the latest Medicare reform agenda as a move from “volume to value.” But what is value? A health economist will tell us that value can be quantified as outcomes received per dollar spent. The rest of us non-economists out there might say that value ... Read more
- Behind the Curtain of Medical School Debt by Lucy J. Cairns, MD, and T.J. Huckleberry, MPA The debt incurred by students in the process of completing medical school in the U.S. has certainly ballooned to levels likely to give aspiring medical students (and their parents!) pause. But the implications for current and future students are not entirely clear, since physicians are a relatively ... Read more
- Members in the News “The American Academy of Pediatrics Section on Oral Health presents the 2016 Oral Health Service Award to C. Eve Jensen Kimball, MD, FAAP, for working to advance children’s oral health through education, medical/dental collaboration, and advocacy.” It was presented at the AAP National Conference & Exhibition Meeting in San Francisco, CA on 23 October 2016. ... Read more
- DOH Launches Prescription Drug Monitoring Program to Combat Opioid Abuse – Here’s What You Need to Know Pennsylvania physicians who are licensed, registered, or otherwise lawfully authorized to prescribe controlled substances, other drug or device in the course of professional practice, or research in this Commonwealth are required to register in the state’s new controlled substances monitoring program (PDMP). Once you have registered, the system will be ready for query beginning Aug. 25, ... Read more
- Improving Transitions of Care by Patti J. Brown, M.D. Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Medical Director, HealthSouth Reading Rehabilitation Hospital It is that time of year again. Our hospital’s Joint Commission Accreditation is due and we are reviewing Patient Safety Goals. When reviewing the goals it is easy to see the true meaning and purpose behind them. Acute Rehabilitation hospitals are licensed as ... Read more
Jul 19, 2017
" Women's Health Issues "
with host John Dethoff, MD
Jul 12, 2017
" Colon Cancer "
with host Andrew Waxler, MD
Jul 05, 2017
" Chaplancy & Healing "
with host Charles Barbera, MD
Jun 21, 2017
" Fractures "
with host Andrew Waxler, MD